Monday, August 7, 2017

DIY: Framed Chicken Wire Hair Bow Holder


I originally had a round glass fishbowl on the changing table in the nursery that I intended to use for hair bow / headband storage....and then it quickly filled up, and I realized what a pain it was to dig around trying to find a specific color at the bottom.  I saw several cute chicken wire options on Etsy, but I didn't want to invest $40-50 in something to hold hair bows.  I looked up several DIY options, but they involved buying a whole roll of chicken wire (which doesn't come in small quantities) and attaching it to a frame yourself.  These DIY options were going to take longer and cost more than I really had the patience to invest :)  Enter pre-chicken-wired frames from Amazon Prime (read: no errands!) and, less than $15 and 30 minutes later, I had a hair bow holder!

I used the following supplies:


  • 8 x 10" framed chicken wire via Amazon (Note: 16 x 20" and 10 x 22" versions are also available if you have more wall space!)
  • 7/8" white vinyl cup hooks via Amazon
  • Spray paint (I used a random leftover can in my garage - it only takes a tiny bit!  You could also use acrylic paint and brush it on)
  • Ruler
  • Sharpie
  • Small tack nail
  • Hammer
  • Pliers
  • Ribbon (I used random leftovers I found in my gift wrapping bin)

First, paint (whether using acrylic or spray paint) the framed chicken wire and allow it to dry overnight.  Use a ruler to measure out where you want the cup hooks to go (mine are approximately 1" apart), and use the Sharpie to mark each spot with a small dot.  The 8 x 10" frame fit 9 cup hooks on the 8" side -- if you use a wider frame, you can probably squeeze in more hooks!



Use the hammer and tack nail to create a partial "starter" hole on each dot.  You don't need to hammer all the way through the frame - just enough for the cup hook screw to have a little hole to start in (and then pull out the nail).  You could also drill pilot holes with a drill, but B was out of town and I didn't want to deal with getting out the drill myself.



After creating the starter holes, I hand-screwed each of the cup hooks in most of the way.  When it got too hard to turn by hand, I used a pair of pliers to turn each cup hook the rest of the way.  




The framed chicken wire came with hanging hardware pre-installed on the back, so then I just added a ribbon to the existing hardware to hang it on the wall.  I am excited to have the chicken wire part for hairbows and the hooks for elastic headbands!

No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10