Friday, August 4, 2017

Friday Favorites - Trader Joe's Edition (Part 2)

I previously posted on some of my favorite party snacks/appetizers from Trader Joe's - as parties used to be my primary reason for shopping there.  Since being on maternity leave (read: eating more meals/snacks at home), I've started shopping at TJ's more frequently.  Here are some of my more recent favorites!


Image result for trader joe's sliced mango

Pre-sliced Mango

Confession: I don't know how to cut an actual mango (or pick a ripe one at the grocery store), so I buy the pre-sliced variety.  TJ's is one of the more reasonably priced places to get pre-sliced mango.  This was a major pregnancy craving of mine!


Image result for teeny tiny avocados
Teeny Tiny Avocados

These small avocados come 6 to a bag and are the perfect size to consume in 1 meal!  With larger avocados, my husband, son, and I usually only eat half, which means the other half of the avocado ends up in the fridge getting brown.  With these tiny avocados, we eat the whole avocado in one meal - fresh avocado every time!



Broccoli & Kale Slaw

Broccoli Kale Salad

This is delicious and makes a great easy side dish!  Everything you need is in the bag - shredded broccoli stalks, shredded kale, and shredded radicchio, along with dried cherries, dried blueberries, roasted sunflower seeds, slivered almonds, and dressing.  We love this!


Image result for trader joe's lemon arugula salad
Lemon Chicken & Arugula Salad

If I'm at TJ's near lunchtime, I almost always pick up one of these for a quick and easy lunch.  It looks small in the package but is really packed in there - it's a sizable salad once you dress and toss it!  It come with arugula, Moroccan couscous, chicken, and a pimiento dressing - different and delicious!


Image result for less guilt guacamole trader
Reduced Guilt Chunky Guacamole

I'm usually wary of pre-packaged guacamole, and especially any guacamole that contains ingredients other than avocados and seasonings...but this is good!  It has Greek yogurt in it so it's less fattening than straight guacamole, but still delicious and has a good kick.



Image result for trader joe's gyro

Fully Cooked Gyro Meat

These are sold in the refrigerated section and so good! I tried making gyro meat from scratch one time and it was a time-consuming and disappointing effort.  This tastes just like gyro meat from a Mediterranean restaurant!  It makes a quick and easy dinner - just cook in a skillet for a couple minutes on each side, then pop it into a pita and add some cucumbers, tomatoes, and tzatziki sauce (TJ's makes a good pre-made one!)  There isn't a ton in the box - my husband, 3 year old, and I ate the entire box for dinner one night.



Image result for trader joe frozen brown rice -organic

Frozen Brown Rice

I keep a couple of boxes of this on hand in my freezer at all times.  A box contains 3 pouches that microwave in 3 minutes to make perfect brown rice!  One pouch is more than enough for my husband, 3 year old, and I for dinner - we usually have some leftover.



Image result for trader joe bbq chicken teriyaki

BBQ Chicken Teriyaki

This makes a super quick and easy dinner - it goes from the freezer to the table in less than 10 minutes.  Great to have on hand when plans fall through or I'm running late!  Heat up the chicken, heat up the sauce, mix together, and serve over rice (we use the TJ's frozen brown rice above).  One bag makes enough for my husband, 3 year old, and I for 2 meals.



Image result for trader joe's jalapeno limeade

Jalapeno Limeade

Another pregnancy craving of mine!  This is an acquired taste - it was too spicy for my husband, but I love it!  It has a definite kick - it's not just a hint of jalapeno!  I bet this would be delicious with vodka or tequila (jalapeno margarita?!) too.



Image result for cashew chocolate almond trail mix trader joe

Just a Handful of Simply Almonds, Cashews & Chocolate Trek Mix

I love these pre-packaged trail mixes! They are good for portion control (especially since this contains chocolate) and are a filling snack that is slightly indulgent but also contains protein.


Image result for trader joe dunkers
Chocolatey Coated Chocolate Chip Dunkers

These are dangerous.  They come one million to a package and are addictively good.  It's basically a Famous Amos-like chocolate chip cookie, coated in chocolate on one side.  I discovered these at a neighbor's house for bunco one night and never looked back.


Image result for trader joe's plantain chips
Roasted Plantain Chips


These are my 3-year-old's favorite snack!  I love that they don't have any sugar (they're salted, not sweet)!


Image result for inner bean trader joe's

Inner Peas (Pea Crisps) and Inner Bean (Black Bean Crisps)

These are another snack favorite for my son!  It's as close as he gets to chips ;) They're crunchy and lightly salted and less than $2 per bag.  I buy several every time I'm at TJ's!



What else is good at TJ's?  There is so much to choose from and it is easy to overlook things I haven't tried before!







6 comments:

  1. I adore the dark chocolate covered espresso beans, Carolina Gold BBQ sauce, bagged salad, TJ Coffee, 3 Buck Chuck, and I should update this later in the weekend LOL! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dark chocolate covered espresso beans?! I'm totally looking for those on my next trip! The BBQ sauce sounds good too!

      Delete
  2. One day they had samples of the cowboy quinoa burgers over broccoli slaw topped with cilantro lime dressing and now it is my favorite lunch. I have to resist buying the dark chocolate covered almonds with sea salt because we basically inhale them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sound like an easy and healthy lunch! I've never noticed the quinoa burgers - adding them to my list! And YES to anything with dark chocolate and sea salt!!

      Delete
  3. Joe Joe's are such a weakness in our house! They are like Oreo's only SO MUCH BETTER!!! I really love their Honey Butter Potato Chips and we like to keep Mandarin Orange Chicken in our freezer for a quick and easy meal (cooks up like the BBQ Chicken Teriyaki) - I slice some veggies to cook too and serve it all over noddles or rice like a stir fry. OH AND the Everything But the Bagel Seasoning is my current obsession, I put it on literally everything but my favorite it sprinkled on avocado toast! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried a sample of the mocha Joe Joe's at TJ's last week - so good! My husband doesn't like coffee flavor so I didn't buy them since I knew that meant I'd eat the whole package myself :) The Everything but the Bagel Seasoning sounds great - and I love avocado toast!

      Delete

09 10