Wednesday, August 2, 2017

How to Use Medela PISA Pump Parts with a Spectra S1/S2 Pump

Between baby #1 and #2, I made the switch between the Medela Pump In Style Advanced to the Spectra S2 breast pump.  While I MUCH prefer the Spectra pump to the Medela, I had 3 issues with the Spectra pump:

1) Spectra flange sizes are limited (only 3 sizes as compared to Medela's 5), and I use a larger-than-standard flange that Spectra doesn't make;
2) Replacement Spectra pump parts are not readily available locally, making me nervous if they break or I forget them while travelling
3) Spectra pumps are not compatible with standard-size bottles - you either have to use wide-mouth bottles or use bottle adapters to allow use of standard-size bottles

The cheap and easy solution to all 3 issues is to use Medela pump parts with the Spectra pump.  Luckily, I had leftover pump parts from my old Medela pump that I could scavenge, but if not, Medela pump parts are inexpensive and readily available, both online and in local stores like Buy Buy Baby, Babies R Us, and Target.

I had heard anecdotally that it was possible to mix and match Medela parts with the Spectra pump, but I couldn't find detailed instructions on how to actually DO it.  Here's what you'll need:


The backflow adapter connects the Spectra backflow protector to the Medela PersonalFit Connector, allowing use of the Medela parts while staying a "closed" (sanitary) breast pump system.  You can buy a 6-pack of the adapters inexpensively on Amazon, and you're good to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment

09 10